Chizuk (Strengthening): Jewish Programming Directors Strengthening Lekhu Lakhem-JCC Camps
Chizuk, generously supported by the AVI CHAI Foundation, is an initiative designed to enable Lehku Lakhem Fellows to take the next steps to significantly raise the bar for Jewish life, Jewish learning, Jewish identity, and Israel experiences in their camps through the addition of a Jewish programming director (Chizuk Fellow.) The mandate of the Chizuk Fellow is to touch all aspects of the camp and organically integrate meaningful, purposeful, quality Jewish content and experiences that add to the magic and joy of the camp program.
Chizuk Fellows are senior level Jewish educators who have a solid grounding in education, along with extensive experience in camping. Chizuk Fellows work directly with camp directors to implement the directors’ visions for Jewish education at their camp, functioning to coordinate all facets of Jewish content and experiences for campers and staff alike.
Participating JCC overnight camps include: Camp Barney Medintz (Georgia); Camp Chi and Camp Interlaken JCC (Wisconsin); B’nai Brith Camp (Oregon); Camp JCA Shalom and Camp Tawonga (California); JCC Ranch Camp (Colorado); JCC Maccabi Camp Kingswood (Maine); Surprise Lake Camp (New York); New Jersey Y Camps, Camp Poyntelle Lewis Village, Pinemere Camp, and Capital Camps (Pennsylvania); Emma Kaufmann Camp (West Virginia); and Camp Wise (Ohio).
Chizuk Fellow/Jewish Programming Director Job Description
JCC overnight camps across North America are looking for creative, dynamic educators who understand the value and power of overnight camp and can help facilitate thriving Jewish learning environments in these experiential, pluralistic settings. Jewish Programming Directors (JPDs) at JCC overnight camps touch all aspects of the camp and organically integrate meaningful, purposeful, quality Jewish content and experiences into the magic and joy of the camp program. They work together with young adult and senior staff to strengthen Jewish living and learning for campers and staff alike.
Salary: $5,000 for the summer (approximately 10 weeks)
Basic Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Serve as the “central address” for Jewish living and learning at camp
- Work with all levels of camp staff to infuse Jewish learning into varied aspects of camp life
- Organize and lead Shabbat services and programming
- Create and facilitate engaging Jewish programs for 8-16 year-old campers of diverse Jewish backgrounds
- Attend pre-camp preparations, training, and orientation and be in residence for the entire summer season
Qualities and Experience:
- Strong background in Jewish education (graduate level training preferred)
- Experience in working at Jewish overnight camps
- Creative, dynamic educators who can work effectively with campers, counselors, and senior staff
- Capable of and interested in working in a multi- and non-denominational setting
- Knowledgeable and skilled in experiential education
- Capable of inspiring, guiding, and supervising colleagues from multiple disciplines
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Matt Abrams Gerber at email@example.com. For questions or more information, feel free to contact Matt by phone (212-710-6434) or email.