Areas of expertise:
- • Social-emotional development in young children
- • Helping classrooms meet the needs of diverse learners
- • Early identification and interventions (Birth – 6 years old)
- • Supporting and managing challenging behaviors in the classroom
- • Parent Education
- • Faculty professional development
- • Approaching difficult conversations with parents
- • Building relationships with families and promoting the home-school connection
- • Developmental assessments
- • Supporting children’s transitions and separation
- • Referrals and resources
- • Family engagement
Rachel is a Licensed Social Worker and the Early Childhood Program and Social Services Manager for JCC Chicago, where she has worked for 15 years in various capacities. In her current role, Rachel oversees the Social Services team of mental health professionals, and partners with staff and families to enhance the educational and psycho-social development of the children in their seven Early Childhood locations.
Rachel was formerly the Assistant Director of Early Childhood at the Mayer Kaplan JCC, and also served the majority of her tenure as a member of the Early Childhood Management Team. As part of leadership, she provided oversight, best practice development and growth planning for JCC Chicago Early Childhood.
Rachel is a seasoned educator for both staff and parents, presenting on topics ranging from promoting the development of executive functioning skills in young children to supporting children’s challenging behaviors. Rachel has presented at the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Conference on Sensory Integration and the Challenges of Childhood, as well as at the JCCA 2017 Conference on Helping to Meet the Needs of the Diverse Learners in our Classrooms.
Rachel earned her Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, with a major in Psychology, and a Master of Social Work from Loyola University of Chicago, with a concentration in School Social Work. She is married to the love of her life, Don, and is the mother of three wonderful children.